- What is a news source that you will never trust? I have to say that Fox News is particularly disgusting in their partisanship. It’s hardly fair and balanced. And, yes, I’ve watched and am not merely reciting the mantra of critical wonks. CNN also seems to be headed in that particular direction.
- What is the news topic during the last calendar year that you feel got the worst coverage? It’s tempting to say the war in Iraq, because we simply don’t know what is going on over there. I think people feel like they know what’s going on, but I think we’re simply being spoon-fed the information our government wants us to hear. However, the absolute worst coverage was of Karl Rove and the leak case. Where did he go? Before this incident, it was ‘Karl Rove said this’ and ‘Karl Rove did that’, but after Valerie Plame…nothing. It’s like he’s hiding in the secret bunker with Cheney. I demand to know where Karl Rove is and why he hasn’t been fired.
- What news item do you feel got too much coverage in the last calendar year? This one is nearly impossible to choose, so here’s a list:
- Brad and Jennifer and Angelina
- Nick and Jessica
- Britney and Kevin
- Tom and Katie
- Paris and Nicole
- Oprah and “A Million Little Pieces”
That said, I also feel like my beloved Red Sox got a little too much press with the Epstein/Lucchino thing, but they’re my Red Sox, so I enjoyed it a little too. All in all, I think we’re a little too wrapped up in celebrity.
- If you had complete control of your favored news source(s) (answer to question 1), what would you do with it that is not already being done? I think I would form a bureau of television for NPR. I know, I know…it’s National Public RADIO, but if we could get that sort of reporting on television, maybe the news wouldn’t be so boring. And, maybe we would get less shows about celebrity breakups and hookups and crackups.
And that’s it in a nutshell. I’ve got nothing more to say, which is good because I’ve got to get back to work now. I have a list that needs checking off.
Currently listening to Oh My Sweet Carolina by Ryan Adams fromHeartbreaker via WERS
See you in the funny papers!