This is not a post about the television show “Road Rules” which appeared on MTV. Which brings up an interesting comment…do you remember when the “M” in MTV stood for music?! Ah, those were the days. Now, since video has killed the radio star, insipid banter between snotty socialites and desperate hosts has killed music television. But that’s not even what I came to talk about today. DON’T CHANGE THE SUBJECT!
Yesterday, I was riding home from work as I usually do. Pedalling hard to keep up with traffic as much as possible, stopping fully at the stop signs, signalling when I need to change lanes…you know, all the things a responsible cyclist is supposed to do. So, as I’m signalling to get over to turn left, this lady can’t decide if she’s going to speed up and pass me, or slow down and let me over. So, while I’m coasting with my left hand signalling a lane change, she’s mulling the decision. Finally, I just move on over and as she passes me, she hollers out the window “Learn the rules of the road!” It’s crap like this that angers me. Not only was I following all of the rules of the road, I was trying to be nice and let her choose how she wanted to proceed. So, to the lady in the car, please accept the following:
However, I digress. My next topic is television. Whatever happened to good television. Do you remember Thursday night television when you were growing up? You can probably name off every show that appeared from 7:30 to 11 and that lineup never changed. And the thing was…they were all good shows. Nowadays, you can’t find any of the shows you want to watch, because they’re always moving them around…that is when they’re not cancelling them. And, of the 4 or 5 networks, there might be 7 shows worth watching on a regular basis. Granted, I’ve not seen all of the shows, but the ones I have seen are crap.
GOOD TV: Grey’s Anatomy, House, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Gilmore Girls, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Brothers and Sisters, Heroes, Scrubs, My Name Is Earl, The Office, The Unit
BAD TV: American Idol, Cops, The Apprentice, Deal or No Deal, Grease: You’re the One That I Want, Beauty and the Geek, Wife Swap, How I Met Your Mother, The Class, Supernanny, Two and a Half Men, The New Adventures of Old Christine, American’s Funniest Home Videos, The Knights of Prosperity, Armed & Famous, According to Jim, George Lopez, 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, WWE, Nanny 911, Dateline NBC
So obviously, the bad outweighs the good. I guess this has probably always been the case…it just seems that the bad is really bad these days and the good is so few and far between. But none of the networks has called or emailed me yet to ask my opinion…so I guess tv will stay the way it is for a while.
And now, the FRIDAY FIVE
- What did you eat yesterday? I had a collection of odds and ends because it’s grocery week. For example, for dinner, I had a frozen TV dinner, a Gardenburger, two croissants, a bag of popcorn and Miller High Life Lite.
- Are you more likely to yell or give the silent treatment? I think it truly depends on the situation, however, in recent years, I’ve found that I’m more likely to be silent rather than yelling. Yelling really doesn’t solve much, and silent at least gives you the opportunity to listen to the other person.
- Who did you last grieve? This is an oddly worded question. Who did I give grief to or who did I grieve for? The answer to the first part is my mother. I’m always giving her grief about something. Don’t worry, she gives it right back. As for who I last grieved for…probably Jill, my wife’s aunt. That’s the last person I remember grieving for. Unless you want to count George’s dad on Grey’s Anatomy last night.
- What feels good today? Lots of things. For one, my jeans. I love wearing jeans on Friday. Secondly, the slight ache in my muscles from running 4 miles last night. That feels good. And, the short stack of things to do on my desk gives me great pleasure.
- Friday fill in: Thank you ___ for ___. Thank you Carrie for taking me to lunch today.
March to the Mini update
See you in the funny papers!