I would never imagine, by the way, that this post, or any other post really, would become an instant classic. I do, however, take issue with the term. Last night’s game between Louisville and West Virginia will almost certainly be termed an instant classic because of its double overtime and previous history between the two teams (including 2005’s overtime win over the Mountaineers to advance to the Final Four.) Still, a classic conjures an image of something that is captured for posterity in the memory of those who have never seen anything like it. Examples include: Babe Ruth’s called-shot, Michael Jordan’s jumper to win his final championship, Boston College’s Hail Mary pass, Don Larsen’s perfect game in the World Series. These are moments that are true classics, but nobody called them “instant” anything. They’ve stood the test of time. Now, in 30 years, if someone other than a diehard UofL fan is still talking about the double overtime win against the Mountaineers in the Big East tournament…then it will be a classic. Other than that, it was just another great game between new rivals which should lead to even better games in the future. To be sure, Edgar Sosa’s drive (as seen at right) was spectacular, but I saw Tyus Edney do the same thing for UCLA a few years ago in the same amount of time.
And now…for those of you who were hoping for something other than basketball…today’s FRIDAY FIVE:
- What do you like on a hot dog? Onions, mustard, and relish. The best hotdog I ever had was at my first major league game. I saw the Cubs play the Pirates at Wrigley Field one summer and I had my hotdog dressed just how I like it as I watched the Cubbies beat the Bucs.
- What do you like on a hamburger? Mustard, mayo, Swiss cheese and lettuce. Actually, this is the classic take on the burger. When we eat at W.W. Cousins, I tend to put everything from alfalfa sprouts to green olives on my burger.
- What do you like on a baked potato? Butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits and Cheddar cheese. Add a little salt and pepper and it tastes so delicious. Best way to eat a baked potato.
- What do you like on a slice of toast? I don’t like toast. However, if it’s there, I’ll have butter and jelly. I really like the toast in the chicken strip basket at Dairy Queen. I usually dip it in the rest of the gravy…MMmmm.
- What do you like in a cup of coffee or tea? In coffee, I like it to not taste like coffee, so at the very least cream and sugar…chocolate and whipped cream and cinnamon are also nice. In tea, I like honey to sweeten it, but that’s about it.
So there you have it. Enjoy your weekend. See you in the funny papers!