The early autumn cool chills the last of the summer wine as the leaves dress in their golden gowns for a long winter sleep. The frost of morning glazes the grassy field as the snowbirds pack their songs for another trip south. I pulled the extra blanket tighter down around my shoulders and breathed in the morning as the golden glint of sun burns colder through the trees.
I really, really love autumn. I know it means the onset of winter, but in my mind, there’s nothing like crisp, cool mornings to really make your heart alive. I wrote the above in my head this morning while waking up. Plus, I have all sorts of things to be happy about this morning:
- My beloved Red Sox slapped down the Angels (AGAIN) last night in their quest to repeat as the World Series champions. Of course, it’s on the west coast and I didn’t get to sleep until 2, but hey…that’s why there’s coffee.
- A situation at work regarding some missing passports miraculously cleared itself up yesterday and I can’t begin to explain how happy that makes me.
- My running program has ramped up a little in this second month and I’m now doing 2:20 walk/1:00 run intervals. The first one went really well. I just have to focus on the program and not how much faster I really want to be running. I’m still getting 2.5 miles in at a 30 minute clip, which is pretty quick for an old man.
- Also, I’m looking to interview with a company here in town about some GIS possibilities. Wish me luck on that, because I’d really like to find a job in my field.
- And, finally, I’m psyched about my trip to Philadelphia. In recent years I’ve become very interested in history and the founding fathers and what not, so this should really be perfect. Also, we’re now booked to go to Arizona for Thanksgiving and I believe I’ll be able to summit Humphrey’s Peak while I’m there which will be a huge thrill.
Finally…I’m going to be attempting a lot more politics and baseball in this blog for this month. I know…some of you are saying that other than running, that’s all I talk about. But it’s important…for a lot of reasons. I encourage you to watch the VP debate this evening and if you’re not registered to vote, you have until Monday I believe…so go register now!