I was reading over some old blog posts from a few years ago and I ran across a couple of things. First of all, I did a lot of the same things I do now and I was, apparently, bitter and rant-filled about the same things. So, let’s hear it for consistency. WOOT! Secondly, I happened upon an old meme called THE FRIDAY FIVE which I enjoyed quite a bit. Plus, now that I have a bit more of a following and with the ease of Facebook for people to enjoy my blog that much more, I thought I’d resurrect the Five and see how it goes. This Five is in honor of the impending holiday season:
THE FRIDAY FIVE
What’s your favorite holiday…
1. Song? I’m a sap. I truly love to hear Bing Crosby sing “White Christmas.” It’s my favorite carol of all time. I like to sing along. I also like to hear my wife’s families’ version of “Blue Christmas.” That one is always a crowd pleaser.
2. Movie or TV Special? If there is a better movie for the holidays than A Christmas Story, I’ve not seen it. I could watch that film for days and not get tired of it. Plus, some have said I even look like Ralphie…which I don’t think is necessarily a compliment, but I have to admit to a certain resemblance.
3. Memory? Oh, there are so many good memories. Last year, for Thanksgiving, we visited family out in Arizona and they took us to the Grand Canyon which was an amazing trip. Plus, the food and the company were amazing. And, then there was the year that my great aunt spent the entire afternoon telling us that a bone-in ham was the best to get because it stayed juicy and had a better flavor. Not a year goes by when we don’t talk about having a bone-in ham. Finally, there was the year that my sister surreptitiously made a recording of her, me, and my mom making cookies and the hilarity that ensued when there were no potholders and we had to get the cookies out before they burned.
4. Baked good or dessert? Speaking of cookies…let me say this, I used to love cheesecake. It was my favorite dessert of all time. But, I had the best cheesecake in South Africa on our honeymoon which effectively ruined all other cheesecakes for me. I’ve not been a fan since. However, I digress, cookies on the other hand I relish. My mother makes the best chocolate chip cookies you’ve ever eaten. They are delicious and I horde them with an unknown ferocity. I wouldn’t even let my niece have one when mom made me some for my birthday. That’s how much I love these cookies.
5. Each year, what’s the one moment that let’s you know it’s the holiday season? This is hard to pin down what with the ever changing decorations that appear and disappear in the stores. However, I believe there a couple of harbingers. One is Stan. Stan lives for decorating his house for Christmas. Just the other day, I saw him stringing lights around the windows. It can’t be too much longer before the giant plastic Santa goes up on the roof. The other is the appearance of apple cider at the supermarket. When you see apple cider, you know the holidays are a-coming.
Make sure to post your own answers in the comments section. Enjoy your weekend!
See you in the funny papers!