In between

I have to believe that some of you keep coming back to this site just to see if I’m dead.  I’m not dead, yet, but I’ll get to that in a minute.

So, since I last posted, we’ve experienced Holy Week.  Now, for those of you who don’t know me, or haven’t been reading the blog for a while, I have a job at a church.  I don’t mind blogging about this job, even though several church members know about the blog and probably read it on a fairly regular basis.  Most of the stuff I write probably wouldn’t get me fired.  I usually just complain about having to go…but I go anyway, because they continue to pay me.  So, yeah, Holy Week.  It’s a week of church services, basically.  I go on Palm Sunday (twice this year), Wednesday for rehearsal, Maundy Thursday (which I just learned this year why it’s called Maundy, it’s from the Latin mandatum, for “command” or commandment), fortunately, I’m off work on Good Friday (which is why it’s good), Easter Vigil on Saturday night, and then Easter Sunday (three services this year!).  All of this leads to me being very tired come Easter Monday.

Ordinarily, it’s not a big deal.  However, this year…I started getting sick on Wednesday and it has slowly progressed.  I really thought it was just an allergy, but it has continued to linger.  And, in previous years, I would’ve just taken a day off to rest and dealt with it.  However, with my new job (that I don’t blog about), I didn’t really have the option of taking the day off.  You see, we were involved with bringing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to my hometown and because of the way the scheduling worked we had very little time to prepare.  Unfortunately, all of that preparation came the week after Holy Week.  So, you see my dilemma.  In addition to the exhaustion of church I had now added the visit/lecture of a government dignitary.

She was here Friday.  I hope to add a couple of pictures soon.  It was a wonderful event and everything went very smoothly from our point of view.  It was also very exciting to be in the mix for the planning and coordination with her advance team.  I really enjoyed the experience.  I would’ve enjoyed it even more had my illness not progressed.  By the time of the event, I was basically just a husk of a man, swaying in the wind, trying not to cough too loudly as she spoke.

In addition to this, I had already agreed to take a group of students to New Harmony, IN for a scholastic retreat for the weekend.  New Harmony is the site of a failed utopian society and fit well with their studies for the semester.  I wheezed and gasped my way through a walking tour of the town and a lovely dinner.

Since everything went well, I decided to finally take Monday off and go to the doctor.  Seconds after hearing me cough, he pronounced the diagnosis of bronchitis and prescribed a wonderful little antibiotic, doxycycline.  So, I lay in bed on Monday and Tuesday attempting to rest, trying not to move my torso because this seemed to aggravate the coughing condition.  I’m back at work today…still coughing, but feeling better.  As previously stated, I’m not dead, yet.  I’m feeling better.  I think I’ll go for a walk.

See you in the funny papers!

4 thoughts on “In between

  1. I’m so glad you are enjoying your new job that you dont blog about. I hope to be like you when I grow up/ We miss you over here and I hope that by now you’re feeling better. Love to the wife and baby!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s