In an effort to be a little more proactive on updating this blog, I decided to read through a few other people’s blogs to see what might be of interest. Turns out, my friend Julee over at Green(ish) Mama had already tagged me with a double dog dare. The idea is to reveal seven things about myself that you may not know and you know, you’re not allowed to turn down a double dog dare…even if it means getting your tongue stuck to a flagpole in the middle of winter. Anyway, the hard part of this will be coming up with 7 things. After so many years of blogging, I doubt if I can come up with more than 1 or 2…but we’ll see if I can’t baffle a few readers with some new nuggets. I hope that some of these are not so boring that you run screaming from the room. Also, the photo to the left is courtesy of Alexander Drachmann via a Creative Commons license.
- I have a relatively large collection of vinyl records, most of which were picked up for free at the music library at the university. Consequently, I have a lot of classical music on LP. Operas, organ music, a couple of different versions of the Hallelujah Chorus (one directed by Bernstein, one directed by Ormandy) and some rather bizarre other stuff, not the least of which is the best of the Latin zither.
- It has always been a dream of mine to through-hike the Appalachian Trail. I have zero plans to do this, but it has always been a dream. I suppose I like the idea of traveling on foot for more than 2000 miles through the mountains of the eastern U.S. Maybe in another life.
- I took piano lessons from the time I was seven until I was a sophomore in high school. I was pretty good, but by no means a virtuoso. I absolutely hated to practice and that was probably some of the downfall. Currently, I can hack my way through enough music to play for the odd church service, the occasional wedding, and a few dozen Christmas carols during the holidays.
- I had exactly 4 girlfriends before I met my wife. So any hottie who says they were with me back in the day is fuller of shit than a Christmas turkey. They were, in order, Kathy, whose last name is different than when we dated, and who I’m glad has the life she deserves. Kara, whose last name I don’t even remember. She was kind of a bitch and I don’t think that’s going too far. She might even agree with that. Sarah, whose last name has probably changed since I know she’s gotten married, and who I still believe is on friendly terms with me, though I haven’t seen her in years. And, Valerie, whose last name is withheld for privacy concerns, and who I hope is having a better second part of her life than the first part was. I was mean, in an immature sort of way, to all 4 of these ladies and I hope that they didn’t have trouble moving on from me and were able to forgive me, on some level, for being a boy.
- In addition to Star Wars toys, which I’ve mentioned innumerable times on this particular blog, I also collect baseball caps, coins, my race numbers when I run, and bottle caps. Yes, mom, I’m collecting bottle caps…merely to replace the collection I had years ago that “disappeared” one year when I went to summer camp.
- I absolutely love to swim in the ocean, except for the fact that I’ve seen Jaws one too many times, and I fear a shark attack every time I get in the water. Yet…I still go out there, but the slightest brush from a fish, a piece of seaweed, or even a dark shadow will send me back to the beach to recover until I get the nerve to go back in the water.
- I’m still mad about getting a referral in the 5th grade on the bus for stepping on the finger of that little fucker Troy, who, although he probably had every disadvantage a kid could have, still was an asshole and I wish I’d punched him in the face instead of stepping on his finger. But, what really pisses me off is the way the referral was worded because the bus driver couldn’t see a damn thing from where she was sitting and yet she claimed I stomped on his finger. If I’d really stomped on his finger, he would probably have been a lot worse off. I know, I know, it’s a stupid thing to be mad over, particularly as it happened 25 years ago…but damn it, it wasn’t my fault.
So, there it is. Any surprises? Anybody out there know all seven things already? If you can honestly claim you knew all 7, let me know and I’ll try and come up with something that you don’t know.
See you in the funny papers!